16 November 2012

The Hour S02E01 (BBC, 2011-)

The gang's all back.

A bit slow to begin with.  It's been so long - so it seems - since its maiden season that I'd completely forgotten what happened in the previous season.  The ep only really seemed to pick up with the return of crusading investigative journalist Freddie Lyon (Ben Whishaw) after his big O.E.

I should've written this sooner after watching the ep so I can only offer the following thoughts:
  • Was news producer Bel Rowley (Romola Garai) such a weak sister last season?
  • I kept waiting for new Head of News Randall Brown (The Thick of It's Peter Capaldi) to say colourfully offensive and bawdy dialogue (alas, shit out of luck in this ep);
  • And the ep seemed a bit filled up, if you know what I mean - flaccid and unhurried.
Still.  Nice to have a classy sub-Mad Men show to watch until Dick Whitman and friends return in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment